Saturday, August 15, 2015

Some New Additions

I've had a pretty good week for adding to my film camera collection.  The first bit of luck came when I noticed a Craigslist ad for a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm f/2 lens advertised for $25.  Looking at the completed listings on eBay, the approximate value for this camera and lens in this condition looks to be around $60 to $80, so I drove out there and picked it up.  I've got a test roll in there now, so at some point I'll be able to do a writeup for that one.

Then I gambled on an eBay auction for a Canon Canonet QL17 GIII, a 35mm rangefinder from 1972. The value of this camera is a little harder to pin down, it currently looks to be selling for between about $60 and $150.  Some lower priced cameras needed only replacement light seals and some were in worse shape.  The best condition cameras fetch the higher prices.



This particular auction had a Buy It Now price of $60 with a Best Offer option.  Basic functionality had been tested but was being sold as-is, and the light seals were completely destroyed. I sent an offer for $50 expecting it to be turned down, but it was immediately accepted. That made me a little more nervous about its condition.

One of the auction photos of the camera's condition


Turns out, it's in perfect shape -- no signs of use whatsoever.  Even the baseplate is pristine, not a single scratch or mark.  The only problem with it was the light seals were a sticky, melted mess. I went to a craft shop and picked up a 9" x 12" sheet of 2mm thick closed cell foam with an adhesive backing for 89 cents, cut a few strips, cleaned out the old crap with some alcohol and toothpicks, and put in the new seals.  And there you have it, basically a brand new camera for $50.89!

New seals


I really can't wait to try this one out, it's my first true rangefinder camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment