Thursday, October 24, 2013

Taberna del Caballo

My success rate is much lower when I shoot film versus digital, partly because there's no safety net; I can't see if I've screwed up the photo until days later, whereas with a DSLR I can look and retake the photo immediately if I don't like it.

However, occasionally even I manage to get something right (at least, to my eyes).

Taberna del Caballo by jeffk42
Taberna del Caballo, St. Augustine, FL

While on a weekend getaway to St. Augustine (which I had dubbed a "No-Digital" weekend for myself) we had decided, as we do every time we're in town, to visit Taberna del Gallo.  It was a tiny little bar with room for about 10 people if you really crammed them in there.  It attempted to stay true to the Spanish Colonial era with all-wooden furniture, no lights, and no air conditioning.  In fact, there was nothing electric visible at all (although they did have a cash register and presumably an ice chest, they were hidden from view). The Florida heat was mostly kept out by a breeze blowing through the front and rear entrances which were merely openings in the building with no doors.  In the evening, it was lit only by candles and oil lamps.  We loved it.

Sadly, on our most recent trip we realized that it was gone.  Taberna del Gallo was now Taberna del Caballo, and it had merged with the place next door to create a much larger space with plenty of outdoor seating and a full food menu.  Inside, the small room with the bar was still there, but led into two other rooms, just big enough for four tables in each room. While we did mourn the loss of one of our favorite little hideaways, these little rooms did maintain much of that period-authentic look, with large, low openings to allow light and breeze in and no artificial light to ruin the effect.

Camera: Mamiya C330 Professional
Lens Pair: Mamiya Sekor 80mm f/2.8
Film: Kodak Portra 160 (120, 6x6)
Scan: Canon Canoscan 9000F Mark II

No comments:

Post a Comment